Trump warns of more Nigeria strikes if Christians 'continue to be killed'

b0d4d9d0 ed63 11f0 a422 4ba8a094a8fa.jpgs

US President Donald Trump has warned that he could order more airstrikes on Nigeria if Christians continue to be killed in the West African nation.

Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!

In a wide-ranging interview with the New York Times, Trump was asked whether the Christmas Day strikes in Nigeria’s northern Sokoto state, targeting Islamist militants, were part of a broader military campaign.

“I’d love to make it a one-time strike. But if they continue to kill Christians it will be a many-time strike,” he said.

Nigeria’s government has rejected Trump’s earlier accusations that it is failing to protect Christians from jihadist attacks, saying that “Muslims, Christians and those of no faith alike” are targeted

Claims of a genocide against Nigeria’s Christians began circulating last year in some right-wing US circles – but organisations monitoring political violence in Nigeria say most victims of the jihadist groups are Muslims.

When questioned about this in the interview published on Thursday, Trump replied: “I think that Muslims are being killed also in Nigeria. But it’s mostly Christians.”

A spokesperson for Nigeria’s foreign minister did not directly comment on the possibility of more air strikes but told the BBC: “We will continue to engage constructively and work with partners, including the United States, on the basis of mutual respect, international law, and Nigeria’s sovereignty.

”Nigeria remains committed to protecting all citizens, Christians and Muslims alike, without discrimination,” said Alkasim Abdulkadir.

Nigeria’s population of more than 230 million people is roughly evenly divided among Christians, who predominate in the south, and Muslims, who are mostly in the north.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *